Wavelink and Datalogic Mobile to Demonstrate Push-to-Talk Walkie-Talkie
January 12, 2009
Wavelink Corporation has announced today the Wavelink Communicator, a client-side, push-to-talk solution that enables organizations to add two-way radio functionality, has been added to their existing ruggedized and voice-enabled mobile devices.
“By adding Wavelink Communicator to our wireless solutions, we continue to enable companies to get the most out of their existing hardware investments,” said Lamar Van Wagenen, president of Wavelink. “Organizations can essentially turn any ruggedized mobile devices running Windows into walkie-talkies to enhance communication and improve efficiency across the company.”
The Wavelink Communicator provides push-to-talk communication that allows users to hold private conversations between any voice-enabled computers—mobile or desktop—running a Windows platform. Depending completely on the client-side, it eliminates the need for costly server-side hardware and software and can be deployed in a matter of minutes.
Features of Wavelink Communicator include:
- One-to-one and one-to-many modes enable employees to communicate privately, across pre-defined groups or globally.
- Multiple channel support for setting up and labeling unique channels for different groups or departments. Users can also transmit across multiple channels simultaneously.
- Caller ID identifies speaker as well as all other active participants on the channel.
- Paging function establishes a user-defined page key to initiate paging process.
- Beep on Talk to alert users when a call is established.
- Support for 802.11a/b/g wireless networks and computers running on Windows® CE, Windows Mobile and Windows 2000/XP/Vista®.
“Voice capabilities are now core to mobile applications in retail, warehouse and field force automation markets where Datalogic Mobile is a market leader. Now existing Datalogic Kyman and Pegaso mobile computer users can add push-to-talk functionality with Wavelink Communicator,” said Tom Burke, director of worldwide product marketing for Datalogic Mobile. “Our strategic partnership with Wavelink is founded on maximizing value for mobile computer users, and Wavelink Communicator continues in that direction.”
Jessica Kostek is a channel editor for unified communications, covering VoIP, CRM, call center and wireless technologies. To read more of Jessica’s articles, please visit her columnist page.
Edited by Jessica Kostek